Assistant Controller - DePauw University
- 07-Jun-2021 to 25-Jun-2021
- - DePauw University
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
For more than 175 years, DePauw University has been changing lives. We bring students from diverse backgrounds together with first-class faculty to create future leaders.
We are firmly committed to linking our strong liberal arts education to life's work, preparing our students for achievement in an increasingly diverse and rapidly changing world. But we do more than prepare students to make a living; our liberal arts education prepares students to make a life. Our students go on to uncommon success and understand the significance of the life well lived.
DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Women, members of underrepresented groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This position assists the Controller in overseeing all accounting functions for the University and is directly responsible for the general ledger, the financial reporting (periodic and year-end Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) based financial statements), treasury management, and coordination of the annual audit. The management of the endowment accounting system also falls under the purview of this position.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statements
- Assist with the annual external audit process and the compilation of the University's corporate and other GAAP financial statements.
- Compile the University's quarterly reporting package and internal financial statements.
- Provide oversight for the accounting for the University's endowment.
- Assist with the monthly and fiscal year-end close processes, and production of periodic and ad hoc financial reports for internal and external users, including senior management.
- Develop and communicate relevant changes to University accounting policies and procedures to the University community.
- Work with the Business Office to ensure that shared responsibilities and business processes are as efficient and effective as possible.
- Support technical accounting issues are promptly identified and resolved; serve as a liaison with external actuaries.
- Support the timely distribution of the University's corporate financial statements to all internal and external users, including the Board of Trustees and senior management.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate VP for Finance and Controller.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Financial Aptitude - Ability to understand and explain economic and accounting information, prepare and manage budgets, and make sound long-term investment decisions.
- Management Skills - Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Presentation Skills - Ability to effectively present information publicly.
- Team Builder - Ability to convince a group of people to work toward a goal.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field (four-year college or university) required. MBA preferred
Experience: Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience required.
- Must be technically proficient in Microsoft Office suite applications.
- Experience with Oracle E-Business Suite a plus, not required.
Communication/Language: Intermediate: Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Certificates & Licenses
Management training: Continuing professional education to keep up with the changing requirements and demands of the profession and industry.
Click the APPLY button to apply online by June 25, 2021.