Director of Communications - Trinity Episcopal Church
- 12-Jul-2021 to 10-Sep-2021
- - Trinity Episcopal Church
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- benefits to include: paid time off, medical, dental, vision, income replacement (short-term disability), and long-term disability insurance. Candidate may participate in the organization’s pension plan 403(b) retirement savings plan.
Trinity Episcopal Church seeks to hire a full-time Director of Communications. The Director of Communications tells the story of Trinity, our community and mission, while adhering to the values of hospitality, beauty, and clarity. The Director of Communications manages and leads the entire day-to day communications which includes everything from overseeing creative material development to marketing placement to video production to social media and website content management. A talented generalist who is able to manage many simultaneous projects well and knows when to outsource will thrive in this position.
The Director of Communications focuses on the following:
• Broadcasting Trinity stories, news, programs, and events.
• Inviting seekers to explore the Trinity community.
• Compelling newcomers and Trinity parishioners to connect in new and deeper ways.
Primary Focus of Position
Working in collaboration with the rector, associate clergy, church staff, lay leaders, program leaders, ministry teams, vestry, and outside consultants, the Director of Communications develops, coordinates, and implements all communication efforts in support of the mission and ministries of Trinity Episcopal Church, striving to:
• Create a consistent, integrated approach to communications.
• Ensure the integrity of the Trinity brand and identity across platforms.
• Infuse a message of hospitality in communications and interactions.
• Increase the overall sense of connection among parishioners.
• Develop new means of engaging current and potential members of the parish community.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Produce and edit parish publications (digital and print), including design and content of: the weekly e-newsletter, the parish newsletter/magazine, social media, Sunday announcements, Annual Report, special publications, and other marketing collateral (brochures, posters, flyers).
• Coordinate publicity requests and channel them into different communication channels, when and where appropriate (website, weekly eNews, Sunday announcements, church signage, online calendars, print collateral, public relations, and social media).
• Keep Trinity website fresh and updated and ensure that it remains integrated with other parish communications and remains inviting. Track and report website data.
• Determine value of, and participate in, social media as a way to engage conversation and as an extended outlet for publicity and telling the Trinity story.
• Develop and implement a public relations plan. Be the contact for news media or provide coordination for Trinity contacts. Strengthen public relations and other efforts to promote the congregation's growth.
• Collaborate with church leaders to strengthen donor relationships, providing communication expertise to fundraising and stewardship efforts.
• Monitor Trinity spaces and grounds to ensure signage and information "tables" are up to date, and the overall space presentation is inviting and reflects the value of hospitality.
• Ensure that worship services, concerts, programs, and other parish events are widely publicized.
• Ensure that Sunday and special services/events are appropriately staffed for live streaming.
• Cultivate new communication partners/channels in the neighboring community and beyond.
• Represent Trinity within professional associations and share expertise to assist communicating the good news of the Episcopal Church.
• Capable photographer able to document parish events and services for use in publicity.
• Creative eye, proven design skills, and ability to repurpose images, videos, and written copy for future use.
• Edit the writing of others; render rough outlines into clear, engaging prose.
• Oversee shared calendar for consistency and accuracy, and to determine which events are public.
• Oversee and manage the church communications budget.
• Bachelor's degree in communications, graphic design, and/or related field (or equivalent experience)
• Experience in writing and editing, in creating and producing publications, in public relations planning and development, and working with media (newspaper, television, radio).
• Comfortable with technology; knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Mailchimp, InDesign, Hootsuite, and other current electronic publishing tools.
• Familiar with Realm/ACS or other CMS platforms.
• Familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
• Experience in website management. Familiarity with Wordpress is a plus.
• Creative eye, proven design skills, and the ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-platform environment.
• Familiar with parish life and knowledge of social dynamics unique to ministry and church work.
• Demonstrated leadership in communications management.
• Familiar with or interest in learning media production and live streaming.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume by July 28.