Care Navigator, LatinX HIV Prevention Program – Damien Center
- 12-Jul-2021 to 10-Aug-2021
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Complete Benefits Package Available
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
This position will work under the LatinX HIV Prevention Program and will connect LatinX men who have sex with men (MSM) to various health and social service programs and organizations, with the goal of providing comprehensive services to treat or prevent HIV. The Bilingual Care Navigator provides an individualized plan of care that includes medical, psychosocial, financial, and other supportive services based on the individual client needs The Bilingual Care Navigator will maintain a caseload of no fewer than 40 active clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Interview and assess patient's eligibility and need for health and social services.
- Ensure the continuity of care, promote self-sufficiency by developing a plan of care and appropriate interventions to address patient's concerns.
- Assist patients with enrolling in health insurance, including Medicaid, Medicare, ADAP, HIAP, MDAP, HIP, and the Ryan White Program, etc. and provide re-certifications when required.
- Assess patient need for housing accommodations and complete appropriate housing application.
- Ensure the achievement of grant deliverables.
- Provide referrals as needed to medical, optical, dental, mental health and substance abuse programs, community and government agencies, food pantry, support groups, legal assistance, transportation, etc.
- Educate patients and others about HIV treatment and prevention.
- Complete necessary paperwork and data entry, including entering case notes, within 24 hours of patient interaction.
- Return phone calls within 48 hours.
- Collect necessary documentation, including quarterly plan of care being signed by patient and update patient demographics during quarterly plan of care meeting.
- Develop positive working relationships with other social service, medical, and mental health providers.
- Follow written policies and standards set by Damien and funders.
- Complete face-to-face intakes and review assessments.
- Engage patient at HIV follow-up appointments according to Structured Engagement Procedures
- Provide patient-centered care.
- Develop Individualized Care Plans in collaboration with patients and their medical providers.
- Staff with members of the patient's care team to ensure comprehensive support.
- Follow-up on medical and other referrals.
- Assist patient in making outside medical and related appointments.
- Monitor patient engagement in HIV prevention/treatment medical care.
- Connect patient to financial assistance programs to cover co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles.
- Exhibit willingness to work non-traditional hours.
- Complete referrals according to patients' needs and readiness.
- Ensure patient has transportation to appointments.
- Ensure patient has interpretation services scheduled as needed at each lab and medical appointment.
- Complete reports as directed by supervisor and/or leadership.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree preferred, but not required. Experience with care coordination or patient management experience required. Bilingual in Spanish/English required. Experience working with the focus population is preferred.
Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.