Peer Support Specialist, LatinX HIV Prevention Program - Damien Center
- 12-Jul-2021 to 10-Aug-2021
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Complete Benefits Package Available
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Peer Support Specialist works under the LatinX HIV Prevention Program and promotes HIV treatment and prevention services to LatinX men who have sex with men (MSM) in both online and in-person settings. This position assists individuals through multiple stages of readiness to engage in services. When someone is ready to engage in services, the Peer Support Specialist links them to care and works alongside the patient and their care team to ensure optimal engagement and retention in services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Identify individuals of the focus population and engage them in HIV prevention and treatment services.
- Increase individuals' readiness to engage in HIV treatment and prevention services.
- Develop relationships with persons from the focus population who would be influential in spreading HIV prevention information.
- Attend appointments with patients when necessary to increase the likelihood of patient engagement and retention in services.
- Ensure the achievement of grant deliverables.
- Provide interpretation services for patients when needed.
- Follow all guidelines in the LatinX Prevention Grant, including data collection and reporting.
- Conduct social media outreach to engage individuals from the focus population in services and education.
- Link individuals living with HIV to medical and supportive services.
- Keep accurate and updated documentation on patient interactions.
- Implement effective behavior change communication messaging targeting risk-related attitudes, norms, intentions, and self-efficacy.
- Engage in continuous risk reduction messages/conversations with social networks and community allies in the focus population.
- Provide HIV testing to high-risk individuals when needed.
- Provide peer recovery coaching as appropriate.
- Provide an integrated, highly targeted approach to education for high-risk populations, address perceived barriers, and provide information on receiving services.
- Exhibit willingness to work non-traditional hours.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
Two years' experience providing community outreach, community education and/or work in the HIV/AIDS or related field preferred. Bilingual in Spanish/English required. A person who represents the focus population of the position preferred.
Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.