Services Navigator, LatinX HIV Prevention Program - Damien Center
- 12-Jul-2021 to 10-Aug-2021
- - Damien Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Complete Benefits Package Available
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Services Navigator works under the LatinX HIV Prevention Program and aims to increase the utilization of Damien HIV prevention and treatment services among LatinX men who have sex with men (MSM) by navigating individuals to services that meet their needs. This position will plan and coordinate trainings about HIV/AIDS, PrEP adoption, harm reduction, best practices in prevention, and effective risk-reduction messaging. In addition to group trainings, the Services Navigator will do one-on-one in-person and social media outreach and education with individuals who belong to the program's focus population. This position will also assist with developing community partnerships with organizations who serve the focus population of the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Identify high-risk individuals and provide education and navigation to HIV prevention services, including PrEP, PEP, testing, peer recovery, and harm reduction.
- Link individuals interested in becoming a patient/patient at Damien Center with the appropriate team member.
- Attend appointments with patients when necessary to increase the likelihood of patient engagement and retention in services.
- Ensure the achievement of grant deliverables.
- Provide interpretation services for patients when needed.
- Elicit the involvement, support, and cooperation of key organizations and individuals (or "gatekeepers") in the community to increase engagement of the focus population in HIV treatment and prevention services.
- Assist with the coordination, logistics and implementation of marketing campaigns.
- Follow all guidelines in the LatinX HIV Prevention Grant, including data collection and reporting requirements.
- Conduct social media outreach to engage individuals from the focus population in services and education.
- Keep accurate and updated data documentation on patient interactions.
- Implement effective behavior change communication messaging targeting risk-related attitudes, norms, intentions, and self-efficacy.
- Engage in continuous risk reduction messages/conversations with social networks and community allies in the focus population.
- Provide an integrated, highly targeted approach to education for high-risk populations, address perceived barriers, and provide information on receiving services.
- Provide HIV testing to high-risk individuals when needed.
- Conduct outreach events to raise awareness of the availability of Damien Center services, at appropriate events, bars, and other venues providing information on HIV prevention and the availability of prevention and treatment services.
- Exhibit willingness to work non-traditional hours.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Public Health, Human Services, or related field preferred. Two years' experience providing community outreach, community education and/or work in the HIV/AIDS or related field preferred. Bilingual in Spanish/English required. A person who represents the focus population of the position preferred.
Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.