Senior Accountant – Wheeler Mission
- 16-Jul-2021 to 14-Aug-2021
- - Wheeler Mission Ministries
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Senior Accountant reports to the Director of Accounting, the Senior Accountant is responsible for a variety of accounting functions including, budgets, grant/restricted funds management, reconciliations, reporting, allocations, financial statement preparation for social enterprises, other Wheeler Mission LLC's, property tax management, and preparation of Form 990, 5500's and other management reports for Wheeler Mission departments. The Senior Accountant will assist the Director of Human Resources and 403(b) Advisory Committee manage the Wheeler Mission 403(b) plan. Senior Accountant also works closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to prepare financial reports for the Wheeler Mission Board of Directors, Audit Committee, and the 403(b) Advisory Committee.
Wheeler Mission is committed to giving hope that changes lives through transformational relationship with Jesus Christ. Wheeler Mission considers every position one of ministry and a vital and valued part of our team. Therefore, it is essential that all employees of Wheeler Mission have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and subscribe to our Mission, Vision and Core Values. Employees are encouraged and expected to share the Gospel as opportunities arise.
Essential Details and Qualifications
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Possess a sincere love of Christ and maintain a Christian walk that is evident of that love. Individual must be willing to sign and adhere to the WM Statement of Faith.
- Accounting aptitude for continually improving processes and service to employees.
- Interpersonal Skills – maintains confidentiality, remains open to others' ideas, and exhibits a willingness to try new things; prioritizes work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability – adapts well to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events. The ability to work effectively in a team environment with associates and be equally effective working on individual projects requiring minimal direct supervision.
- Oral Communications – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrates advanced group presentation skills and the ability to conduct meetings.
- Written Communications – Requires excellent written communications skills, routinely edits work for spelling and grammar errors, presents numerical data effectively and able to read and interpret written information.
- Dependability – consistently at work and on time, willing to work overtime when required, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve personal performance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage Wheeler Mission's various grants and restricted fund accounts.
- Assist the Director of Accounting and CFO with the creation, analysis, performance, and monthly monitoring of the Wheeler Mission and individual department's operating budgets.
- Prepares schedules and requested financial reports for external audits. Works with outside auditors to accomplish prompt completion of annual audits.
- Prepares journal entries for annual and monthly closing. Works to complete annual and monthly account closings on schedules established by the CFO and Director of Accounting.
- Verifies the accuracy of biweekly personnel changes in Paycom. Assists the payroll team prepare, process, and audit biweekly payrolls.
- Perform additional accounting functions, duties, and responsibilities as directed by the Director of Accounting. Prepare project reports as needed or requested by the CFO.
- Completes special projects as directed by the Director of Accounting and the CFO.
- Works with the Director of Human Resources to manage the 403(b) retirement plan processes. Assists Human Resources department personnel prepare documents and resources for the annual 403(b) external audit. Cooperates with the external audit team to complete annual audit in a timely manner.
- Administers and maintains all accounting records in accordance with state and federal regulations, and accepted accounting standards, and related best practice records-keeping policies. Maintains accounting records in both electronic and traditional hard-copy paper formats.
- Maintains accounting department's information system records (electronic and paper) in compliance with WM Confidentiality Statement, applicable legal requirements, and IT policies and regulations.
- Demonstrates honesty and integrity, exhibits a strong work ethic and a strong moral character.
- Must have well developed interpersonal skills and have the proven history of promoting harmonious relationships with co-workers, peers, department Directors, volunteers, guests, external contacts, vendors, and supervisor.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills. Must be detail oriented, excellent organizational skills, accurate, complete assignments, and projects in a timely manner, and possess the ability to handle confidential human resource personnel material professionally.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in a regular office setting. Must be able to use and work with standard office equipment including, computers, telephones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing this job the employee is required to talk and hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, a great deal of filing is required. This requires the physical ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool or step ladder, as necessary. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice at the discretion of the employer (WM).
Required Education and Experience:
A bachelor's degree in an accounting discipline related to the functional work of this role. A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience related to the essential functions of this position. Demonstrated knowledge and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) required.
A mature Christian attitude and beliefs possessing a stewardship mindset regarding business finance and personal ministry. Work record demonstrating a strong customer service orientation, attention to detail, and resourceful problem-solving skills. Minimum of 3 years accounting experience working with General Ledgers, Accounts Payable, and Bank Account Reconciliation.
Ability to apply strong functional computer knowledge in utilizing advanced Excel skills, and other Microsoft Windows, programs including, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint, to complete daily assignments and special projects. Ability to quickly learn specialized accounting software. Ability to work in a fast-paced ministry environment.
Must possess a valid state issued driver's license and be insurable.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting required, with additional consideration given to individuals possessing advanced degrees in Business Administration, Non-Profit Management and Accounting.
- Five years plus of progressively responsible experience in accounting in a non-profit organization, with experience in payroll systems, payroll tax returns, general ledger, accounts payable, and bank account reconciliation. office administration.
- Experience with Blackbaud, Paycom cloud-based payroll programs preferred. Must have experience with MS Office applications.
Background Investigation and Drug Testing:
- After a "conditional offer of employment" is made, the individual must pass a thorough background investigation.
- The background investigation for this position includes a complete financial history.
- Wheeler Mission Ministries has a mandatory drug testing policy for all new employees. The successful applicant must submit to and pass a drug and/or alcohol test. This drug and/or alcohol testing may occur any time after the applicant receives a conditional offer of employment. All employees must sign and adhere to WM Drugs and Alcohol policy and remain free from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Statement of Conflict of Interest/Confidentiality:
This position requires both a conflict-of-interest statement and a Confidentiality statement.
Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time 40-hour per week position, with some schedule flexibility, generally working, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasional evening or weekend overtime work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily local during the business day. Occasional travel to WM facilities in Bloomington, Indiana may be required as job duties demand.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.