Immigration Legal Assistant - Exodus Refugee Immigration, Inc.
- 19-Jul-2021 to 17-Aug-2021
- - Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Exodus is seeking an Immigration Legal Assistant to assist legal services staff with the delivery of high-quality legal services to refugees, asylees, Cuban and Haitian Parolees, central American Minors, and other immigrants of humanitarian concern. This position will be responsible for preparing and filing applications, providing support to other legal services staff, and communicating directly with clients.
Exodus Refugee Immigration welcomes refugees and other immigrants of humanitarian concern to Indiana. We work to arrange housing, food, clothing, case management, English and cultural orientation, employment placement, legal services, and mental health services for individuals and families starting new lives in the Indianapolis area. As an independent, non-sectarian, 501(c)(3) non-profit agency, Exodus is part of a network that works in partnership with the Depaartment of State's Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM); the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), and Church World Service's Immigration and Refugee Program (CSW/IRP) in the resettlement of refugees from all over the world.
- Preparation of applciations, petitions, motions, briefs and memoranda as required; including, but not limited to, preparation of DS-7699 on behalf of Central American Minor program beneficiaries; I-485 Applications to Adjust Status; I-730 Petitions for Follow-to-join; and others, as directed.
- Draft and receive client correspondence
- Answer legal phone calls and schedule intakes for potential clients
- Monitor all administrative policeis and procedures for effective delivery of services
- Facilitate community outreach and educational activivies, including working with other staff to facilitate the deliver of community presentations, one-day clinics, and Know Your Rights presentations.
- Keep abreast of legislative and policy changes that may affect immigration
- Ensure cross-program cooperation with staff serving clients in other capacities;
- Prepare and maintain files, records, information that complies with regulations, policies, procedures and relevant laws
- Perform administrative and clerical duties as necessary;
- Assists with answering office phone calls and covering front desk as requested;
- Performs other duties as may be required by the Director of Legal Services.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university, preferred.
- Prior experience as a legal assistant or paralegal, preferred.
- Passion for immigration law and demonstrated commitment to social justice and the mission of Exodus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented; must be able to work in multi-tasking fashion.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability advocate with governmental and other organizations.
- Ability to effectively manage a large caseload
- Experience working with diverse populations, especially non-native English speakers
- Must be able to effectively communicate with clients of diverse cultural and language backgrounds.
- Must be able to function as part of a team.
- Must have PC proficiency, with competency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Proficiency in Spanish required.
- Must have a vehicle, valid license, and insurance to transport clients.
Click the APPLY button for application instructions through our website.