Employment Specialist - Exodus Refugee Immigration, Inc.
- 18-Sep-2021 to 17-Oct-2021
- - Exodus Refugee Immigration Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The purpose of the position is to provide our clients with the necessary knowledge and basic skills that will allow them to obtain entry-level employment leading to self-sufficiency. The Employment Specialist provides theoretical and practical employment orientation to employable clients, including newly arrived refugees, asylees, victims of human trafficking, parolees, secondary migrants, and refugees, all within 5 years of arrival. He or she educates clients on American workplace attitudes, practices, and expectations; assesses individual skill and employment history through written assessments and verbal interviewing; maps out client employability plans; and provides skill enhancement opportunities as necessary. The Employment Specialist provides practical training in filling out job applications and interviewing as well as assistance with resume and cover letter writing as necessary. He or she may also provide budgetary and financial counseling to clients.
- Secures job placements for employable Exodus clients.
- Maintains up-to-date info on client caseload, makes referrals, and connects to appropriate employment opportunities.
- Provides clients general orientation regarding customs, expectations, and attitudes of the US workplace upon arrival.
- Educates clients regarding specific workplace issues such as hygiene, presentation, punctuality, time management, direct communication style, body language, and sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Ensures clients understand any health and safety concerns on the job, benefits offered, sick leave, and other employment policies.
- Assists clients with understanding cultural differences that may impact job performance in the United States.
- Provides assessment of clients' work history and assists in seeking appropriate employment accordingly.
- Maps out employability plans for clients.
- When necessary, determines further skill enhancement needs and participates in skill enhancement when possible, otherwise recommends appropriate course of action for further skill development through available avenues.
- Educates clients in filling out job applications and helps prepare resumes and cover letters when necessary.
- Helps clients develop interviewing skills through role playing.
- Arranges and attends job interviews with clients.
- When possible, offers interpretation while completing hiring paperwork and during their job training/orientation.
- Assists with transportation trainings and coordination of initial transportation to and from employment for clients.
- Secures interpreters to assist with non-English speaking clients throughout the job search process.
- Maintains regular communication with employers and assists with any challenges that arise.
- Provides ongoing monitoring of the performance and job-related skills of the client, identifying both strengths and barriers to maintaining employment.
- Works with the Employment Team to educate new employers in order to increase the hiring of refugees.
- Assist clients with applying for unemployment benefits if applicable.
- Prepares reports and records as required.
- Documents all services provided in client case notes.
- Coordinates with other Exodus program staff in regards to client needs that arise throughout the employment seeking process and identifies appropriate referrals.
- Attends weekly staff and employment meetings.
- Performs other duties as may be required by the supervisor.
- Reports to the Manager of Employment Programs.
- Must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, preferably in Human Services.
- Please indicate desired salary in application
- Preferably have a minimum of two years of experience in a related field.
- Must be comfortable and able to effectively communicate with clients of diverse cultural and language backgrounds.
- Must be a self-starter with a high level of organizational skill, flexibility, and commitment to serving refugees and other immigrants of humanitarian concern.
- Must be able to function as part of a team.
- Must have PC proficiency, with competency in Microsoft Office applications.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.