Youth Worker, 21st Century Community Learning Center (Part-time) - MLK Center
- 25-Sep-2021 to 15-Oct-2021
- - Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $15.00 an hour
- Part Time
- No Benefits Package at this time
MLK Center is seeking a Youth Worker to supervise youth and implement activities in our 21st Century Community Learning Center for students in partnership with James Whitcomb Riley School #43 in IPS. This is a Part-time position based on renewable funds during the 2019-2020 school year. Hours are Monday through Friday from approximately 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The program focuses on academic achievement, youth development and parent engagement. In partnership with The Indy Learning Team, in one year we saw a 33% increase in the number of children reading at grade level, or just one level behind. Training and coaching are provided around reading and explicit instruction in partnership with The Indy Learning Team. This position reports to the After School Coordinator.
A typical day at the MLK Center might look like:
- Reading a book about bicycles out loud to a group of students, and coaching them in a writing exercise
- Facilitating an organized play event based on professional development from Playworks
- Working one on one with a student, using the word flip book
- Monitoring students and volunteers playing basketball at Tarkington Park
- Reinforcing the values of love and respect when students are fighting
- Following instructions on a StemFinity worksheet to engage students in Ozobots
- Encouraging children to just try the new food served by the Patachou Foundation volunteers
- Sit at the front desk and greet parents as they come to pick up students at the end of the day
- Reporting an issue of suspected child abuse or neglect to your team leader
- Other duties as assigned
This job might be a good fit for you if:
- You believe in the power of reading and helping children develop a love for reading
- You understand how literacy affects dropping out of school, poverty, and incarceration.
- You believe people are creative, resourceful and whole. Everyone experiences emotional trauma, poverty, racism and toxic stress in his and her own way. With the right support we can all grow and find ways to meet challenges.
- You can accept constructive feedback from peers. Working with children is hard, and a cookie cutter approach doesn't work for all children, but we keep trying.
- You like asking questions until you get it right. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to roll with the punches, because we're growing and changing around here, just like our families!
- You believe teamwork makes the dream work! The afterschool program is definitely a team effort; it takes all of to make real change in the world.
- You are motivated and driven. You volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked. You're going to take ownership of the time you spend with us and truly make a difference.
To be offered this position, you need to have some measurable experience working with children. Our CCDF funding requires employees to complete a fingerprint background check, DCS/CHINS check, TB test and drug screen. A Children and Youth Care Certification would be great! We are a close-knit hard working team.
Send a cover letter or email telling us why you want to join us. Submit resume to Info@MLKCenterIndy.org No Phone Calls Please. The position will be posted until it is filled.