Youth Link: Youth and Young Adult (YYA) Systems Navigator - Outreach, Inc.
- 04-Oct-2021 to 03-Nov-2021
- - Outreach, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $36,000 annually. May consider increased salary, with prior extensive related training and experience.
- Full Time
- Competitive health/vision/dental package and paid life insurance, 3-weeks paid vacation, 12 paid holidays, paid sick days, and paid quarterly Spiritual Formation Days.
Background - Project Youth Link - Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program
The Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP) is an exciting new initiative designed to reduce the number of youth and young adults (ages 14-24) experiencing homelessness. In YHDP, a group of youth-serving organizations have developed the YouthLink team, which will work across Indianapolis to identify and link youth and young adults (ages 14-24) who are experiencing homelessness or at-risk of homelessness to community resources, including case management services, shelters, diversion services, host homes, and permanent housing.
The YouthLink team has an opportunity for a professional with a passion for youth engagement and connecting youth and young adults (ages 14-24) experiencing homelessness to available community resources. In partnership with Adult & Child Mental Health and Outreach, Inc., the YYA Systems Navigator will complete a coordinated intake process with youth and young adults throughout the community and connect young people to community-based supports and housing. In addition, the YYA Systems Navigator will maintain relationships with community-based partners.
About Outreach, Inc.
As mentioned, above, this position will collaborate across a coordinated system of Indianapolis homeless youth-serving organizations in order to effectively identify and link youth and young adults that need support throughout the city. This position will be employed at Outreach, Inc., which serves nearly 500 homeless youth and young adults (ages 14-24) annually in drop-in neighborhood program centers, schools, and community organizations throughout Marion county. Outreach, Inc. is a faith- based nonprofit organization in Indianapolis, Indiana that partners with youth and young adults (ages 14-24) experiencing homelessness with the compassion of Jesus Christ. Outreach's mission is to equip and empower homeless youth and young adults to achieve stability and life transformation.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Meet face-to-face, via phone, and/or virtually with youth and young adults to assess what needs they have related to housing, case-management needs, financial resources, employment resources
- Use strengths-based approaches to meet youth and young adults where they are as they navigate housing instability
- Ensure all data is entered accurately into Homeless Management Information System (HMIS), and provide regular reporting to supervisor
- Maintain supportive relationships with Marion county community organizations, school districts, shelters, community organizations, juvenile justice system, etc. that support youth and young adults experiencing homelessness
- Attend and participate in community trainings related to available community resources, youth choice, trauma-informed care, diversity and inclusion, assessment, and technology systems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Personal experience navigating homelessness and/or social service systems
- Effective communication and conversational skills – creates safe emotional and conversational space for all persons experiencing homelessness, regardless of race, geographic location, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, and appearance.
- Enjoys working both independently and with a team
- Attention to detail and organization – position will track all interactions into a Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) database consistently
This position operates in an office environment, and out in the community at various organizations. The individual is expected to maintain personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time salaried position and requires the ability to be flexible in your day-to-day work schedule including evenings and some weekends, for a total of 40 hours a week.
Preferred Education and Experience
- 2+ years' experience working with youth and young adults
- An Associates (or higher) degree in related field preferred (social work, sociology, child & family development, etc.), but not required. Relevant life experience is valuable for this position.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume.