Grants Manager - Building Tomorrow
- 11-Oct-2021 to 10-Nov-2021
- - Building Tomorrow, Inc.
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Compensation will be commensurate with experience
- Full Time
- Benefits package includes health insurance, retirement plan, paid personal leave and sick days. This position is based in Indianapolis, Indiana, but remote options may be available
ABOUT BUILDING TOMORROW
Started in 2006, Building Tomorrow (BT) is an international social-profit organization galvanizing communities to support thriving schools in East Africa. Building Tomorrow improves access to child-friendly, community-supported schools by providing an inclusive, quality education for underserved children. Through our Thriving Schools program, we have deployed 250 Building Tomorrow Fellows who recruit and train Community Education Volunteers, together enrolling out-of-school children in school and delivering Roots to Rise foundational literacy and numeracy camps. To date, we have enrolled more than 55,000 out-of-school children in school, reached more than 15,000 learners through Roots to Rise camps, and constructed 81 schools in parishes where no formal school previously existed. Building Tomorrow has received funding and recognition for its innovative work from the Clinton Global Initiative, Educate A Child, Echoing Green, Mastercard Foundation, the Segal Family Foundation, and Forbes Magazine. More information can be found at: www.buildingtomorrow.org.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, 1.2 million children were out of school in Uganda, and only 6% of Primary-level 6 students could read at the appropriate grade level. COVID has escalated this crisis to emergency levels, affecting 10 million learners currently out of school across the country, and in particular Primary 1-3 students who have not been in the classroom since March 2020. Through Community Education Volunteers and Fellows, Building Tomorrow has innovated to offer our signature Roots to Rise literacy and numeracy program outside the classroom to stem learning loss, and we plan to significantly scale our work over the next five years. By 2024, we will enroll 100,000 out-of-school children in school and reach 300,000 children through Roots to Rise, inside and outside the classroom. To achieve these goals, we will grow our cadre of dedicated funding partners, as well as strengthen stewardship of current donors and systems.
Building Tomorrow is seeking a Grants Manager to grow our grants and broader institutional portfolio. This position will lead prospect research and new business development for selected foundations and other institutional funders, independently generate compelling and comprehensive proposals from start to finish, draft grant and other donor reports, and manage relationships with key grant funders.
The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented, motivated, collaborative professional who has at least three years of experience crafting winning proposals or similar written products, experience coordinating projects with many moving parts, and a passion for Building Tomorrow's mission. Working closely with Building Tomorrow's Director of Strategic Partnerships, the Grants Manager will help deliver on our revenue strategy to help scale our proven, critically needed educational programs.
This position is based in Building Tomorrow's US office in Indianapolis. Remote options may also be available. The role reports to the Director of Strategic Partnerships.
The responsibilities of the Grants Manager include, but are not limited to:
Strategy and New Business Development
- Participate in funding strategy discussions.
- Research and identify key sources of and trends in foundation support.
- Build a pipeline of foundation prospects and identify the optimal strategy for engaging each of them, through proactive, systematic research.
Proposal Planning, Development, and Writing
- Expand foundation funding, in partnership with the Director of Strategic Partnerships and other team members.
- Steward and expand a personal grant portfolio of foundation relationships.
- Manage the conception, writing, and preparation of proposals, budgets, reports, and other materials for funders. Manage the process from start to finish and ensure the timely and thorough submission of materials to funders.
- Working with the rest of the Strategic Partnerships team and Storyteller-in-Residence, support the development of online and print communications collateral for funders and other external partners.
- Synthesize, catalog, monitor, and ensure team adherence to and progress against requirements related to each foundation partnership, including finance, programmatic, operational, and reporting requirements and deliverables.
- Utilizing Building Tomorrow's Salesforce database, track grants and develop and update database reports as needed.
- Collaborate with Finance team members to support shared systems and develop financial deliverables to funders.
- Contribute to research on other institutional partners (multilateral and bilateral funders, corporations, etc.).
- Draft briefing papers for organizational leadership and document meeting summaries.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested .
- Ability to link your career and skill set directly with the Building Tomorrow behaviors (listed below)and skills Building Tomorrow is seeking in the ideal candidate
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum of three years of professional experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with an uncompromising attention to detail
- Flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams, cultures, and time zones
- A commitment to social justice and the fundamental rights of all humans
- Comfort using Microsoft and Google suite (docs, sheets, etc.)
NOT REQUIRED, BUT YOU'D STAND OUT IF YOU ALSO HAVE:
- Familiarity with the international education sector and/or international development more broadly
- Experience with grant proposal writing
- Familiarity with not-for-profit fundraising
- Experience with budget development and tracking
- Salesforce database experience
WE WANT YOU TO APPLY IF YOU...
- Have an unshakeable passion for education equality, believing access to an inclusive, quality education is a basic human right.
- Possess creative ingenuity, being progressive in your thinking and approaching challenges old and new. You are intrapreneurial and unafraid to pilot new ideas.
- Are relentlessly determined, refusing to accept the status quo, persistently striving to create new opportunities to reach more children, allowing them to reach their maximum potential.
- Believe in collaborative engagement. You believe more can be achieved together than alone, believe in the power of cultivating relationships and see everyone as an equal partner.
Click the APPLY button to apply online now.