Vice President of Operations – Coburn Place
- 18-Dec-2021 to 16-Jan-2022
- - Coburn Place Safe Haven
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Vice President of Operations will lead a diverse department that supports the internal capacity and stability of a dynamic and mission-driven nonprofit with a budget of over $4 million per year. Overseeing Finance, Human Resources, IT, Leasing, and the maintenance of the property, this position plays a critical role in integrating necessary functions of Coburn Place that support and strengthen the entire organization.
This role proactively monitors the strength of all operational functions and identifies gaps and needs with four direct reports. Oversees and keeps current documented plans, performance, and needed course adjustments. Excellent planning, communication and systems-thinking are essential to this position. The ideal candidate will model accountability, demonstrate long-range thinking, manage multiple priorities, and inspire trust.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops and maintains overall organization policy and procedures, continuity of operations plan, emergency, and disaster response plans.
- Manages annual budget preparation in coordination with CEO and Director of Finance; manages monthly budget reconciliation and monitors the overall organization budget.
- Serves as liaison to external vendors, including banks and property/liability insurances, brokerage firms, and carriers. Ensures the adherence of grant requirements for subcontractors. Negotiates with vendors and facilitates RFPs.
- Supervises the Operations and Technology staff/contractor(s) to ensure that the organization's technology needs are planned for and met in a timely manner to ensure safe and secure use of technology and that business operation is not interrupted or placed at risk.
- Oversees integrated implementation of Human Resources Information System, Payroll, and employee Benefits administration.
- Supports healthy and proactive communication with all staff members on updates to personnel policies and procedures. Ensures systems are in place for employee engagement, connectedness and development.
- Manages staff and vendors for the maintenance and order of the Coburn Place flagship facility. Provides guidance and oversight for short- and long-term plans and budgets for security, repairs, construction, regular cleaning, and apartment turnover. Ensures that Coburn Place is safe and secure for residents and is an attractive, orderly, and well-maintained place for residents and staff.
- Leads and implements a budget and plan for significant facility investments. Selects external project manager and liaises with key contractors as appropriate. Monitors progress and communicates plans to staff, Board of Directors, and residents as appropriate.
- Develops and integrates organizational strategies to achieve and sustain advantages in ever-changing economic climate
- Explores future scenarios and possibilities to help the organization respond to change and shape the future
- Leverages the organization's key differentiators to develop a viable long-term operational strategy
Plans and Aligns
- Plans ahead to make sure critical resources are lined up for organizational priorities
- Ensures that the team's plans and priorities are aligned, coordinated, and communicated appropriately across different areas of the organization
- Creates contingencies as part of the planning process
- Balances the practice of following a plan with making adjustments when conditions shift
- Ensures that qualified successors are identified and ready for key roles including a leadership pipeline
- Partners with leadership team to encourage and enable others to build skills and develop their careers
- Provides useful real-time coaching to others
- Recommends developmental activities and stretch assignments to others
- Adjusts and delivers communication content and style to the needs of different audiences and a diverse set of stakeholders
- Breaks down communication barriers between others
- Encourages candid and open communication and healthy feedback among groups
- Practices active and attentive listening skills to seek and verify understanding
- Creates a climate where people are motivated to do their best to achieve organizational objectives
- Empowers others with meaningful decision making and ownership
- Celebrates the team's successes and provides praise, recognition, and rewards for strong performance
- Operates effectively, even when the path forward is not clear or certain
- Coaches others in finding solutions and accomplishing goals when information is incomplete
- When transitions or conditions are chaotic, remains calm and provides guidance for the team
- Embraces changes and helps others adapt to change and remain productive during ambiguous situations
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader with at least five years of increasingly responsible organizational management or operations leadership. The Vice President of Operations will ideally have experience with property management, budgeting, and Human Resources. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty according to the requirements of Coburn Place. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Nonprofit Management, or related field. Master's degree is desirable.
- Five years' experience in organizational management and leadership, especially supervising Finance and Human Resources. Experience in nonprofit management or operations is a plus.
- Experience in property or facility management, affordable housing, and/or housing for vulnerable populations is highly desirable.
- Strong management and servant leader skills. Builds a team culture of high trust, high expectations and support. Gives and receives feedback well. Collaborative and coachable; coaches and develops members of the team.
- Facility with Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with QuickBooks and SmartSheets preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Computer software skills required include: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe. Ability to operate a printer, copy machine, fax, scanner and other office equipment, as well as video, virtual technology and electronic ways of sharing information, is required. Employee must have the ability to adapt and conform to shifting priorities and demands and execute accordingly.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate thinks and acts strategically, anticipates and addresses barriers, and considers how actions and decisions impact individuals and the organization. Highly organized and uses transparent tools and systems to monitor performance of complex goals. Must possess a clear driving record. Must clear national, state, and local law enforcement criminal and sexual offender background checks and DCS history background check.
Inclusion is how we release the power of diversity. Coburn Place starts by attracting and hiring an inclusive team that represents all cultures, viewpoints, and backgrounds. We empower our team to bring their authentic selves to work, to do their best work! We strive to foster a work environment as diverse as the clients we serve.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume now.