Investigations Specialist - Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana, Inc.
- 19-Dec-2021 to 17-Jan-2022
- - Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $38,000-40,000 to start, dependent on experience, skills, and abilities
- Full Time
- Health, Dental, and Optical Insurance; Paid holidays, annual leave, and personal leave;403(b) retirement benefit; Paid Parking
The Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana (FHCCI) is a private, nonprofit civil rights/fair housing organization founded in 2011. Its mission is to ensure equal housing opportunities by eliminating housing discrimination through advocacy, enforcement, education, and outreach. This position will coordinate fair housing tests to uncover incidents of housing discrimination and use other investigative methods to assist FHCCI staff in building investigations for enforcement action to stop identified violations of law.
We seek an applicant who enjoys working with people, has an interest in reviewing documents for discrepancies, and a willingness to dig into housing transactions to uncover incidents of discrimination in violation of law.
- Research, create, develop, and implement systemic testing projects;
- Manage research and investigation related to allegation investigation and testing;
- Maintain, update, and develop test forms;
- Conduct and manage tester recruitment;
- Manage and ensure attainment of all contractual testing requirements;
- Create tester training packets as needed;
- Conduct tester trainings;
- Maintain contact with testers and manage tester retention;
- Determine appropriate test arrangements and control factors;
- Coordinate all testing assignments;
- Debrief testers;
- Mentor testers;
- Handle completed test forms;
- Create and maintain test files;
- Analyze test results through specific comparison;
- Keep accurate records;
- Maintain and update Test Log and Test Database;
- Assist with enforcement reporting;
- Assist with case development;
- Maintain and update case files;
- Assist with research, analysis, and data gathering activities;
- Oversee and manage testing-related work; and
- Serve as an advocate for fair housing issues.
Other Responsibilities May Include:
- Conduct client intake;
- Conduct non-testing investigations of allegations of housing discrimination and systemic investigations to uncover unlawful housing practices;
- Conduct community outreach to provide information about fair housing rights, gain support for the project, and recruit fair housing testers;
- Maintain individual case files and records;
- Work with FHCCI staff and others to provide support and advocacy for people faced with housing discrimination;
- Work collaboratively with other programs and initiatives to promote fair housing; and
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent work experience;
- Demonstrated interest in combating housing discrimination;
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and possess good analytical, problem solving, and writing skills with strong attention to detail;
- Possess good teamwork skills and the ability to work with a diverse population;
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously with strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong written and verbal skills;
- Available to attend evening and weekend meetings as needed;
- Access to reliable transportation (paid parking near the FHCCI office provided);
- Demonstrate the ability to recruit, manage, and mentor fair housing testers;
- Must be organized, thorough, accurate, and possess proficiency with computer and related committee needs; and
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus.
Hours: Position is full-time. Hours may vary from week to week as a result of deadlines and position requirements. Some evening and weekend work will be required. In-state travel may occur; some out-of-state travel likely for professional development. Remote working allowed for some hours after probation period.
Other: Due to federal grant requirements, this position requires a criminal background check and assurance of no conflicts related to litigation based needs.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the position.
Click the APPLY button for application instructions through our website. No phone calls or email inquiries, please.
The Fair Housing Center of Central Indiana supports affirmative action and is dedicated to promoting equal employment opportunity.