Senior Communications Manager – Hamilton County Tourism
- 04-Jan-2022 to 21-Jan-2022
- - Hamilton County Tourism, Inc.
- Carmel, IN, USA
- Full Time
The Senior Communications Manager at Hamilton County Tourism (HCT) performs a diverse range of communications needs for the organization including the development and implementation of media relations, social media, and public information strategies. This position is responsible for building and sustaining HCT's reputation as an innovative and responsive tourism leader for the community.
Media Relations (50%)
- Serve as a spokesperson and media contact for the organization or schedule/connect media with the appropriate HCT representative.
- Identify original and compelling stories to pitch to media.
- Develop contacts with members of the media, influencers, and community PR leaders. Build positive, professional relationships with key members of the media for story placement to promote Hamilton County as an innovative, diverse, vibrant and attractive destination.
- Manage an earned media budget balancing fiscal and productivity goals.
- Manage national PR firm contract and assist in story development and earned media efforts on behalf of HCT, all niche areas, and industry partners.
- Respond to requests for information from journalists, travel writers and bloggers.
- Invite and host bloggers and social media influencers for site visits and schedule press trips. Work with the Assistant Director of Community Engagement on itinerary development and serve as the primary contact during writer visits.
- Participate in/plan marketplace shows and desk side visits.
- Write and disseminate creative pitch emails, news releases, talking points, backgrounders, position statements and other information as needed for HCT and the Hamilton County Sports Authority (HCSA).
- Build and maintain relationships with PR and marketing colleagues at local attractions to obtain news items and story ideas to pitch. Host quarterly PR Power Hours.
- Use media databases to build and update/maintain HCT's internal media list.
- Evaluate and report results of earned media campaigns and coverage.
- Monitor local news conversation for items to share with staff and anticipate crises.
- Respond to opportunities that arise through Hamilton County's leadership role in the community.
- Manage and periodically update HCT's Crisis Communications Plan.
Communications and Social Media (40%)
- Create communication strategies that promote Hamilton County as a leading destination for tourism and align with brand and mission.
- Collaborate with executive leadership and provide recommendations for strategic communications direction.
- Drive a multi-channel digital communications strategy with a focus on content for social media channels.
- Write or manage all leisure blogs and newsletters for HCT/HCSA. Proofread materials as needed for HCT and HCSA.
- Develop and execute an organic social media content plan, in collaboration with Director of Marketing and Digital Agency, to support campaigns and promotions across HCT channels. Content should be designed for optimal engagement with the marketing team for leisure, sales, and sports.
- Visit attractions and attend events to stay connected with tourism partners and post new and engaging organic content.
- Collaborate with Content Manager to employ user generated content (UGC) on HCT outlets. Manage UGC strategy and content platform to push to website, information kiosks, and other HCT outlets.
Marketing Support (5%)
- Provide input to the marketing department's overall annual budget and manage project budgets while balancing fiscal and productivity goals.
- Track, monitor and report on the impact of all communications toward strategic goals utilizing Simpleview CRM.
- Assist with community projects such as Creative Economies, the White River Vision Plan and the Hamilton County Bicentennial as needed.
- Assist in the creation of digital, video, audio and print content.
- Assist with supervision of marketing/communications interns.
- Manage an understanding of HCT's policies, mission, history and unique partnership with government, the hotel industry and other destination management organizations.
- Participate in HCT-sponsored functions and activities as needed.
- Participate in staff meetings and project meetings as required by position or requested by supervisor.
- Demonstrate a commitment to developing and embracing HCT's core values - strive for excellence, foster flexibility, cultivate collaboration, lead with intelligence and shape community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field
- Recent relevant experience in communications or public relations field (minimum five years)
- Experience creating content for and managing social media platforms
- Experience writing news releases, blog posts and newsletters
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong grammatical and language skills with proficiency in AP Style
- General understanding of digital media, email marketing, social media and web strategies
- Commitment to quality and accuracy
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Excellent research skills and ability to identify landmark and newsworthy moments
- Ability to handle social situations with poise and professionalism
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines
- Ability to problem solve and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Working knowledge of MS Office, database management systems and social media platforms
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive own car as well as the HCT company vehicle
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds for booth/table set up or event support
- Although this position is primarily 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday, some weekend or evening work may be required
Click the APPLY button to submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples by Jan 21.