Homelessness Diversion Case Manager - Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis
- 04-Jan-2022 to 05-Apr-2022
- - Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- $37,000 to $40,000
- Full Time
Founded in 1994, Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis (FPGI) is a small but growing homeless assistance and shelter agency for families with children. It prides itself on keeping families together, regardless of the makeup of the family, and it does it with an interfaith spirit. We work to eliminate homelessness in Greater Indianapolis through our Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) shelter, our new Diversion Program and Apartment Shelter Program, and our follow-up AfterCare Program. The offices are located at the Family Promise Day Center at 1850 N. Arsenal Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46218.
FPGI seeks a new Diversion Case Manager with a start date between February 15 and March 15, 2022. The case manager would work in the Diversion Program of Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis. Diversion means to work specifically with families that can provide their own temporary shelter'doubled up with family or friends, paying on their own hotel, etc.'to divert them from shelter by helping them find permanent housing directly from their temporary accommodations. The goal is 50% of families achieve permanent housing within 30 days, and if not, they enter shelter.
• Conduct phone screening and intake appointments to keep caseload at ten families while ensuring mutual appropriateness of fit between families and program.
• Orient participant families to program policies and expectations.
• Manage a case load of ten families at a time, meeting with families multiple times weekly to assess needs, set goals, create plans of action, support with resources and referrals, and evaluate progress.
• Mediate with landlords, family/friends, etc. for participant family to maintain/find temporary residence during Diversion program.
• With a mindset of empowerment over enabling, constantly assist (or coordinate others to assist) families with work towards housing goals, including providing resources for job search, application, interviewing, budgeting, school search/enrollment, childcare search/enrollment, etc.
• Attend weekly case conferences with case management team to share report on participant families.
• Record thorough case notes and tracks outcomes in HMIS and weekly spreadsheet report.
• Maintain relationships with other agencies and nonprofit organizations.
• Provide phone and door reception service when scheduled at the Day Center, typically but not limited to eight hours per week (e.g., one eight-hour day or two four-hour days).
• Assist with the move-in of guest families into the shelter unit, or into their permanent home
• Communicate constantly with team of Office Manager, Program Managers, etc.
• Potential option to serve on-call for a $125/week stipend every fourth week (5pm to 8:30am).
• Other reasonable duties may be assigned as needed.
• Empathy for our guests experiencing homelessness.
• Ability to work effectively with people of diverse faiths, races, cultures, and economic situations.
• Skill in mediation, crisis management, and conflict resolution.
• Ability to focus and be flexible in fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
• Strong communication skills in a team work environment.
• Ability to pitch in with all staff and guests and take responsibility for our shared space.
• Respect for confidentiality of personal and sensitive information.
• Knowledge of local community resources.
• Bachelor's degree in relevant field (four years' relevant work experience accepted)
• Prior case management experience a plus.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Zoom.
• Experience with HMIS database for tracking a plus.
• Use of a reliable vehicle for traveling to/from work/shelter sites.
• A valid driver's license.
• Ability to drive a 15-passenger van (no CDL required) a plus.
• Salary range $37,000 to $40,000.
• Health stipend of $500/month (taxable, but not necessary to spend on health insurance).
• SIMPLE IRA retirement plan with 2% employer match.
• Cell phone reimbursement of $25/month, plus an app to disguise cell phone number.
• Mileage reimbursement at the IRS-recommended rate.
• Accrued paid time off at a rate of 60 hours/year, with annual increases based on FPGI Employee Manual guidelines.
• Seven paid national holidays.
• Flexible scheduling, with the non-Day Center coverage hours occurring through telecommuting or in the field.
Learn more about the organization at www.fpgi.org
Click the APPLY button to submit resume and cover letter to Mike Capuran, Executive Director.