Accounting Manager - St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf
- 04-Jan-2022 to 05-Feb-2022
- - St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf (SJI)
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
St. Joseph Institute was founded in 1837 when the Sisters of St Joseph opened the first school for the deaf west of the Mississippi in Carondelet, MO and devotedly served 4 children with hearing loss. Today, St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf (SJI) has a $3.5 mil annual operating budget, over 40 staff members, and program locations in St Louis and Indianapolis providing Listening & Spoken Language services (LSLS) through skilled certified therapists, teachers, and licensed audiologists. SJID also provides Early Intervention services (birth to 3 yrs. old) throughout Indiana and Missouri as well as a national and multi-national tele-therapy program, iHear. SJID is committed to listening and spoken language education, spiritual and emotional growth, and personal development of children who are deaf or hard of hearing, without discrimination, reflective of the values and early traditions of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet
Working with and under the direction of the External CFO, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for oversight of all finance and accounting activities for all SJID locations/entities. The Accounting Manager will ensure that SJID has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and ensure effective financial management and internal controls are maintained. The Accounting Manager is responsible for accurate and timely fiscal records of the organization and provides leadership and direction for all accounting functions. Position is based in Indianapolis and requires travel as necessary to ensure locations/services are supported with timely and accurate reports as well as documented billing procedures to assist management with monthly financial operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Establish, maintain, and enforce organization and department policies, procedures, objectives, and quality standards. Identify and propose process improvement procedures in all accounting areas. Responsible for the maintenance of appropriate internal controls.
Performs or provides supervision for basic accounting tasks for accounts receivable and accounts payable functions:
- Processes all accounts receivable and cash receipts.
- Monitors A/R aging reports and contacts clients for payment arrangements.
- Processes all account payable on a timely basis.
- Processes daily incoming and outgoing accounting-related mail.
- Responds to financial inquiries from staff and outside parties.
- Prepares monthly billing invoices and statements for various SJID services (for both IN and Mo locations) and processes online submissions for IN state reimbursements.
- Keeps accurate records of vendors.
Reconciles the following:
- Accounts as assigned by External CFO
- Monthly activities and regular internal audits in employee benefit-related accounts, including:
- 403b payroll deductions and timely vendor deposits
- Flex spending and Section 125 plan activities
Prepares and runs payroll processing using external vendor services:
- Collects data for payroll processing, prepare payroll records, processes payroll and ensures paychecks are distributed on a timely basis. Reviews and approves all invoices for payroll related expenditures, and reviews quarterly payroll reports for accuracy.
- Checks accuracy of payroll service preparation of W-2's and distributes to current and former staff members.
Acts as custodian for all SJI bank accounts:
- Maintains thorough records of daily activity in all bank accounts.
- Notifies the CFO and President if account balances fall above or below established levels.
Annual budget processes:
- Assists External CFO with the annual operating budget preparation.
- Makes recommendations to enhance the fiscal stability of the organization.
Accounting and other reporting:
- Prepares and distributes other financial reports to the CFO, Board of Directors, and internal/external parties as necessary and appropriate for the efficient operation of SJI.
- Oversees management of student, patient, donor, and employee/payroll (processing) databases.
- Provides recommendations for changes or upgrades to any financial systems.
Working relationships with external and internal business partners:
- Develops and maintains relationships with outside service providers such as vendors, consultants, state personnel, and school district contacts in order to smoothly accomplish all business of SJID.
- Provides oversight for the CFO and President as requested and assists with the negotiation of contracts with service providers as requested.
- Participates in and prepares minutes for all Board Finance Committee meetings.
- Participates in all Board Meetings.
Assists in maintaining a safe working environment throughout the organization by adhering to all safety management policies and procedures. Attends all mandatory meetings, trainings, and maintains all job-relevant professional certifications and/or licenses.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, or Business with an Accounting Major.
- Five or more years related accounting experience with progressive track record including experience completing all basic accounting functions including payroll processing, A/R, A/P, account reconciliation, data entry, billing, bank account management, preparing financial statements, financial analysis, and other accounting functions, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Experience in non-profit organizations strongly preferred.
- Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively & congenially with others in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Excellent recordkeeping and organizational skills with ability to reorganize existing records to create a sustainable financial recordkeeping system.
- Reliability, strong work ethic and time management required.
- Highly proficient in the use of MS Office Excel, Word, Outlook, and payroll/timekeeping systems.
- Knowledge of not-for-profit accounting systems highly preferred. Experience using Financial Edge and/or Raiser's Edge and other non-profit software programs a plus.
- Experience with medical billing a plus.
- Respect for confidential and sensitive nature of information learned by virtue of job responsibilities.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to foresee needed changes and opportunities for SJI entities.
Click the APPLY button to submit cover letter and resume by Jan 17.