Director - Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad
- 10-Jan-2022 to 31-Jan-2022
- - Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad
- Noblesville, IN, USA
- Full Time
About the Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad, Inc.
A charitable c-3 non-profit, Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad, Inc. has operated under the name Arcadia Heritage Depot with a focus of preserving a 100-year-old depot museum in Arcadia, Indiana and providing access to both the arts and local history.
In 2017, the Heritage Depot Board of Directors approved a name change and mission expansion and filed appropriate paperwork with the Secretary of State. A name change will be filed with the IRS non-profit division with its 2017 990s reporting. New by-laws have been adopted, draft programming schedule created and 2018 draft business plan prepared.
The start-up was chosen in late summer 2017 to serve as new operators for the Nickel Plate rail line between Noblesville and Atlanta, Indiana. The organization will work with the Atlanta Pacific Railroad LLC, which will serve the railroad side of the operations. The new Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad will short line will be approximately 12.5 miles long and offer more than 80 program days a year. The non-profit is ready to begin its new role in supporting programming to complement a railroad excursion operation in 201 and seeks a detail-oriented director to manage the organization.
This position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the railroad's program and excursion schedule, including:
- Supporting the Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad, Inc. Board of Directors and Chairman of the Board by providing regular communications and updates on the railroad's operations
- Ensure all obligations of the Board of Directors and the Atlanta Pacific Railroad are provided to the HHPA as promised (e.g. medical records, inspection reports, etc.)
- Oversee program delivery and make sure all programs are delivered with the best possible level of service, on time and safely
- Manage the overall program calendar for the railroad, making sure trains are scheduled and staffed, program elements are ready and in place, sponsors have adequate information
- Supervise program, event and train operations staff, including coordinating that adequate staff is scheduled for each day(s) of operation each weekend, with back-up as needed
- Oversees the organization's ticket sales and works to market and promote the Nickel Plate Express regionally
Advocacy/Community Outreach and Development (25%)
Serves as the external face of the Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad, Inc.
Operating on a community-owned asset and running through three towns and a city, the railroad is a highly visible entity. Advocacy and community outreach efforts will include the following:
- Serve as a liaison to county, town and city leaders along the railroad, regularly checking in and making sure concerns are addressed
- Make public presentations and reports about the program as needed to the port authority, social and service groups, town and city councils, funding agents and more
- Reach out to grants agencies, sponsors, programming partners and others to make sure the railroad can support existing and new programs through new lines of revenue
- Ensure any community or rider complaints are handled quickly, and in an appropriate manner
- Be a proactive face of the Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad, Inc.
- Degree in event management, museum management, business operations management or project management, or comparable experience and an understanding of attractions management.
- At least three years experience working in and with consumers or in an environment where quality customer service is paramount
- An understanding of how to deliver quality programming, either through museum, attractions or other special events although knowledge of history or science is not required, only the knowledge of how to shape
- A knowledge of event sales is a plus, although not required; what is required is a comfort with technology and learning the ticketing software
- Driver's license and own automobile, although mileage compensation will be provided
Click the APPLY button for application instructions through our website.